P0440 PONTIAC - Evaporative Emission System
- Missing or loose fuel cap
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
- EVAP system hose leaking
- Fuel tank leaking
- Faulty vent solenoid
- Faulty EVAP purge switch
2000 Pontiac Grand Am EVAP P0440 Diagnostics
User Submitted Video
When is the code detected?
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
P0440 PONTIAC Description
- Large and small leaks
- Excess vacuum
- Purge flow during non-commanded conditions
- Fuel Level and Fuel Pressure sensor faults
- EVAP Purge and Vent Valve faults
The PCM monitors the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The PCM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The PCM commands the EVAP Purge Solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction.
P0440 PONTIAC Information for specific Pontiac models
Need more help?
P0440 PONTIAC CommentsHelp us improve itimaster.ru. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0440 Pontiac code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks